Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 6 ~ Happy St. Nicholas Day









DAY 6
Happy Saint Nicholas Day! Did you put your shoe out last night?




This tradition is honored more in the Midwest and probably the East (of the USA). Not many folks here in California do this. I brought this tradition into the Hulihan houselhold because it was done in our house when I was growing up: You put your shoes by the front door (inside, not outside.) on the evening of dDcember 5th and in the morning you will find little treasures in your shoes...left there by St. Nicholas.




When I was a kid, we would get a couple new pencils, some gum, a candy bar.


I am happy to report that our kids, now married with families of their own, continue the tradition. And Kelsy, the unmarried one (so far) always seems to get her shoe filled, too.




You can go to this site to learn more about St. Nicholas Day. http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=76
Today's Song:
Jolly Old Saint Nicholas
What I love about this song is the verse:
"As for me, my little brain, isn't very bright,
choose for me Dear Santa Claus, what you think is right."
To me, it means, sometimes we think we want something, but really it isn't right, so let
someone older and wiser choose it...it is like submitting your will to a higher power.

No comments: